Artificially Ripening of Mango
Artificial ripening of Mango is a trend to cheat peoples who are not aware of it. Please read the do's and don't of the artificial ripening of Mango how it affects us and our body.
Carbide Free Mango Ripening
If you have not purchased or tasted Alphonso Mangoes from us, then you are missing the naturally ripened mango taste.
If you might have purchased Alphonso Mango locally from fruit shop near you, then there is a big possibility that you might be eating chemically ripened Mango. This summer, enjoy naturally ripened mangoes from us. Our mangoes are certified by the Indian Government for Geographical Indication, with our license user as Geographical Indication tag trader we source mangoes from Geographical tag accredited farmers.
Summer comes with lots of delicacies and pampering your taste buds. Mango is one of them a sweet taste, delicious fruit with a pleasant aroma, a bright yellow delight.
Mangoes are packed with multiple Vitamins, Minerals, and Nutrients also with various antioxidants that promote your health, as well as Vitamin C, which boosts your Immunity level.
While this is a bouquet of multiple vitamins, mineral and nutrients there are numerous chances that it may come loaded with various external toxic chemicals which might have been used for artificial ripening by some fruit vendors for quick money.
In a survey conducted by Localcircle, about 68% of people have suggested that they don't trust mangoes, which they buy locally.
But it might be possible that you are eating Alphonso Mango, which chemically ripened, and it might be a yellow yellow dirty fellow.
Artificially Ripening of Mango
Artificial ripening of mangoes is on the rise nowadays in India. Most of the fruit vendors for quick money are using chemicals to ripen mangoes fast as this chemical ripening process reduces the duration of natural mango ripening time. It helps them to encash the opportunity citing the scarcity of fresh mango produce and demand by the customer in India and Globally.
In artificial ripening, unsaturated hydrocarbons (actually some say it is a carbohydrate. But this is wrong assumptions Carbohydrate means Carbon, Oxygen, and Hydrogen. While Hydrocarbons are carbon and hydrogen both liberates energy in the form). Such as acetylene and ethylene. It can help encourage Mango in the ripening process and color change.
Even though this calcium carbide help in enhancing the outer look and quality of the fruit, they do so at the cost of its involving the sensory variety of mangoes and human being.
Moreover, when a chemical used to improve the outer look of an edible flesh of Mango, it hampers the mango taste and color with killing its good results in your body.
Chemicals Used to Ripen Mangoes
Now you will have a question which chemicals, why they use this chemical, is this chemical good or bad for your health, how to identify.
Which chemical is used to ripen mangoes?
Calcium carbide is one of the leading chemicals used in the artificial ripening process. If you neatly identify your box of mangoes, you will find a pouch of Calcium carbide, which is placed in your mango box or Mango peti.
How does Calcium carbide Ripens Mango
When calcium carbide comes in contact with mangoes, it reacts to the moisture in mangoes, which respond and produce acetylene gas, its effects are something very similar to natural ethylene gas, which is naturally used by the mangoes for ripening. Acetylene accelerates the mango ripening process and reduces the actual duration of the ripening cycle. Using such chemicals helps this kind of notorious fruit vendors to reduce ripening process time as well as scale up the sales to make quick money.
Disadvantages of Calcium carbide ripened Mangoes.
It is one of the critical chemical processes for your health. FSSAI bans calcium carbide usage in mangoes ripening. Calcium carbide is a toxic chemical, which generates acetylene gas in Mango.
Which is carcinogenic, an agent that can cause cancer. It is a highly dangerous, corrosive chemical (either acid or bases) This will have side effects with disorders like:
- Insomnia, sleepiness
- Mental confusion
- Disruption of Neurological system
- Hypoxia - the body is in want of adequate oxygen levels at the tissue level.
- Anxiety disorder
- Calcium carbide in mangoes leads to pungent farts.
- Loss of appetite
- Stomach ulcer
- Memory distortion
- Memory loss
The usage of these chemicals starts to destroy the quality of Mango. Quality falls significantly, although the outer cosmetics of the Mango looks good, but the inner classes are gone or almost hampered and damaged with it.
How to Identify Artificial Ripening of Mangoes
There is a specific test that you need to do to know the quality of your mangoes, whether it is artificial or naturally ripened mangoes, as you have purchased it with your money.
- Check your mango box for any pouch which is hidden your mango box take out all mangoes on an unattractive surface check the grass which is included in this box by some nasty fruit vendors.
- It is a colorless chemical powder, something like cement color or looks like cement, with black or white-grey shade and as a powder.
- Put the mangoes in a tub of water. Naturally, ripened mangoes will go to the bottom in water. But artificially ripened mangoes float.
- Artificially ripened mangoes have a charming aesthetic with a uniform color. It has a consistent yellow color.
- Those mangoes ripened using chemicals will have very little juice dripping out as it has more firm flesh. A dry mango flesh or pulp compared ti naturally ripened mangoes.
- Those who have fanatic taste buds will understand or may experience a burning sensation while eating this.
- Keep these mangoes under running water and wash cleanly and let it soak in water for half an hour or one hour.
- Match stick test
- Lit a match stick hold it near artificially ripened mangoes with calcium carbide.
- It will start to give sparkle or even catch fire as acetylene gas is present on the surface of mangoes due to calcium carbide.
- Please do not do this test in full mango box with ripening mangoes as it may cause an explosion with the right amount of gas.
- Chemical test by detection of acetylene gas
- Reagent Solution 1Mix Cupric chloride 1.5 gm & Ammonium chloride 3 gm
- Mix it with Concentrated ammonia solution of 20 ml
- Dilute it and make this volume to 50 ml by adding water
- Reagent Solution 2
- Mix Hydroxylamine hydrochloride five gms in 50 ml of water
- A mix of Reagent solution 1 take 20 ml, and Reagent Solution 2 take 40 ml and prepare the test solution.
- Take a Whatman no. 1 filter paper dipped it in the test solution.
- Place this Whatman no. 1 filter paper, which dipped in test solution near the fruit box where you suspect artificial ripening of the Mango.
- Whatman no. 1 filter paper will start turning into reddish brown or brownish purple due to CA C2, which means calcium carbide used.
- If it doesn't change to this color, then there is no use of calcium carbide.
How to Ripen Mango Naturally
We follow the traditional process of ripening mangoes by arranging them in a grass haystack (In Konkan it is called Aadi means layers of mangoes) with the natural ripening process. It helps you to get the natural aroma, juicy taste more than artificially ripened mangoes.
Why Naturally Ripen Mangoes by us?
We are in this business since our grandfather's days. Till now, the story was different. We use to sell mangoes only in wholesale markets or to wholesalers and some limited retail customers in multiple cities like Mumbai, Pune, Nagpur, Delhi, Chandigarh, Hyderabad, Bhopal, Indore, Jabalpur, Chennai, Bangalore, Hubli, Belgavi, Nashik, Ahmednagar, Agra and much more.
We are a Geographical Indication tag certified traders who sell only authentic Alphonso Mangoes or Hapus. We believe in Customer as King of Market, who likes the king of fruits. Those customers who were buying from our grandfathers are still buying from us both side generations have changed, but quality remains intact. Hence our mangoes are always naturally grown and naturally ripened. There won't be contamination at any time.