Things to remember when choosing mangoes
How to Select Mango
- Color isn't a good indicator of ripeness.
- Touch indicates ripeness. Once ripened, you will feel the tenderness of the flesh inside, just like pears or avocado.
- Some species of mangoes have a fruity aroma around the stem when ripe.
Ripening of mangoes
- Unripe mangoes are to be kept at room temperature away from the sun and not be refrigerated.
- Mango ripens at room temperature.
- To avoid over-ripening, store your ripened mangoes in a refrigerator.
- Ripe mangoes stay well in a refrigerator for one week.
- Use a knife and a cutting board.
- Keep the mango straight so that the fruit stem is high. A flat hole or fruit seed starts from the stem to the base—one cuts around the shaft or the mango seed.
- Make vertical cuts on opposite sides an inch away from the smoke. Cut into two pieces, cut them in half with two halves, or cut the meat using a spoon.
- Another way to enjoy mango is to make a grid pattern on the meat without cutting the skin and removing the individual mango cubes.
Health benefits of mangoes
- Mangoes contain dietary fiber, phytochemicals, vitamins, polyphenols, essential nutrients, and minerals.
- The vitamins like A, E, and C make up 25%, 76%, and 9% of RDA (recommended dietary allowance at a performance of 165 grams)
- Alphonso mango has pigment antioxidants-carotenoids and polyphenols- omega-3 and polyunsaturated fatty acids.
- Organic Alphonso mango peel has excellent value for dietary fiber. The antioxidant pigments contained within the outer skin and inner pulp are pectins.
Alphonso, in the Indian context
- India is the largest producer of mangoes globally, planting 14 million tons annually (Global production is 25 million tons).
- The country exports 60,000 tons of mangoes worldwide.
- There are more than a thousand species of mountains in the Alphonso, Kesar, Dashehari, Chausa, Langra, Banganpali, Neelum, and Totapuri world famous.
- Species are named after their colors, origin, texture, and taste.