Combination of mango, curd or yogurt, sugar, saffron strands, cardamom powder, lime juice, and you could top it with chopped cashew nuts, almonds, akrhot and much more as per your taste.
History of Mango Lassi
Indian World famous traditional curd based drink, which is with the origin of the Indian Subcontinent, called lassi, always called it as Punjab di lassi as it has origin history of Punjab and Multan earlier part of India now in Pakistan.
Lassi is a mixture of Curd (Dahi in Indian language) or Yoghurt, Little water or without water, and sometimes fruits like Mango, Strawberry, and Banana.
Lassi is a fermented beverage that acts as a super cooling agent in scorching summer. It is a popular Indian traditional drink.
Lassi in India come in multiple flavors like:
- Dry fruit
- Green chutney
- Gulabi – Gulkand
- Kesar – Saffron
- Mint leaf
- Papaya Honey
Indian Lassi is a favorite drink in an Indian restaurant in India as well as abroad. I had a drink Mango lassi in the U.S., U.K., Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong, there might be some variations, but in a way, it is the same traditional Indian drink.
Since lassi has a history of before 1000 B.C. While sugar has come to India after 640 A.D., Fruits like Mango were alternate sources for sweetness in recipes.
Even it was used for mango refreshing sweet and tangy taste, which makes you energetic.
Since Alphonso Mango loaded with a creamy sweet taste, Mango Pulp is with tender and delicate texture, little or non-fibrous fruit, with soft and sweet juicy Pulp.
Since then, mango blended with curd (Dahi) or yogurt, saffron strands, ground cardamom powder, sugar, ice cubes.
Alphonso Mango Lassi
Alphonso Mango loaded with a creamy taste sweet goes very well with lassi.
Mango Pulp is with tender and delicate texture, little or non-fibrous fruit, with sweet and tangy juicy Pulp.
It is a yummy soothing lassi in all seasons because in summer you get ripe mango, I mean Alphonso mangoes.
Mango Lassi Recipe
It has multiple variants in Mango Lassi like
- With ripe Alphonso mango – ripe mango
- With canned mango pulp
- With sweetened mango pulp
- With sweet and masala spice
- With vegan curd using cashew milk, sesame milk, rice milk
- With low-fat cream curd
Here we have taken Alphonso Mango or sweetened mango pulp made from Alphonso mangoes as it is very less fiber. You may as well use Kesar mango pulp, but it is a bit of fibrous it might change your taste and color of lassi. You can choose ripe mango as per your choice.
Ingredients of Mango lassi
- You can take 3 to 4 Alphonso mangoes peel it off and chop cubes. It will be nearly two to two and a half cups of alphonso mango cubes.
- Two to three tablespoon of malai (fresh cream) those who are more health-conscious can avoid if required.
- Yogurt base or yogurt milk or Dahi (Curd) nearly two cups (means almost 500 grams)
- Half tablespoon of rose water or you can use Gulkand (Gulqand, rose petal jam)
- Grounded cardamom powder half teaspoon
- Optional Ice cubes are ok with it as it would reduce the consistency of lassi I would suggest to add the ice cubes in the afternoon and don’t add in the evening.
- Add sugar or jaggery or Honey or Stevia or Palm sugar as per your taste and choice because generally, Alphonso mangoes are a sweet delight. Still, you can take nearly three to five tablespoon of sugar.
- Add chopped cashew nuts, saffron strands, almonds (Badam), walnuts (akhrot), Anjeer (fig), and mint leaves for garnishing.
How to Make Mango Lassi
- First, make a puree of alphonso mango cubes in a mixer or grinder.
- Now add the fresh cream first get it blended with mango puree. It could also be a tasty dessert as it becomes Alphonso Mango cream like what you get in Mahabaleshwar Strawberry cream. You can try this even once in this summer, a heavenly delight for your complete family).
- Add chilled curd in the same mix with some ice cubes; blend it for some seconds till it becomes smoothie-like preparation.
- Add a pinch of grounded cardamom powder.
- Serve in a glass, garnish this with saffron strands chopped cashew nuts, almonds, walnuts, Anjeer, and mint leaves. Dry fruits, you can choose and change as per your taste.
- If you need thin consistency, you can add more ice cubes or little water.
How to make spicy Mango Lassi
There are two options in making Masala mango lassi you can add a quarter spoon of salt and Kashmiri Mirch Masala to the lassi.
Another process is to mix the salt and Kashmiri Mirch Masala powder. Moisten the edge of the glass in which you are going to serve the lassi.
When it is empty before serving in it, take this salt and masala on a plate. Just move the glass edge, which moistened with water or lassi in the plate of masala and salt.
Only on one side which will give an option at your home those who want plain lassi can drink from one hand those who wish to Masala mango lassi can drink from the rim side where you had sprinkled masala and salt.
How to Make Mango Lassi with mango juice
You need to replace step 1 in ingredients where you can add mango juice to this lassi instead of ripe mango or Alphonso Mango. It can be prepared in all seasons as preferably post-summer in the winter season and rainy season.
Mango Lassi Recipe using Mango Pulp
You need to replace the step 1 in ingredients where you can add Alphonso sweetened mango Pulp or Kesar mango pulp as per your choice to this lassi instead of ripe mango or Alphonso Mango. It can be done in all seasons as preferably post-summer in the rainy season and winter season.
How to Make Mango Lassi without yogurt
You need to replace yogurt-based lassi or yogurt milk-based lassi with curd or vegan curd if you require it as per your choice.
How to Make Mango Lassi with vegan curd
You can buy ready vegan curd, or you can search for any recipe which is dairy-free curd, something like smooth vegan lemon curd. You can also make vegan curd using cashew nut milk, which is a good substitute for dairy curd. You can also try some soya milk curd. It made with vinegar.
Mango Lassi calories
It has nearly 372 calories, with 80 calories from fat. It has the right amount of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Calcium, and Iron. So it is a healthy sweet drink delight for you.
Some special tips
- You can use canned mango pulp in place of ripe mangoes, or you can even use homemade mango pulp
- Mango Pulp is readily available in Indian stores, or you can buy directly from here authentic G.I. tag certified Alphonso Mango Pulp
- Use sweet yogurt which is less sour and thick if its consistency is thin then reduce ice cubes
- Add Saffron strands in one to two teaspoon of milk for some 5 to 10 mins before starting your recipe so that it will give more aroma of saffron
- You can add a scoop of Rajbhog ice cream or Vanilla ice cream instead of dry fruit as per your choice.
- Try roasted almonds and cashew instead of everyday dry fruits, which should finely chop.
- If you are making it for later servings may store it in the refrigerator before serving.
- You can keep this in ice cream cubes and store in the freezer you will enjoy this like an ice cream dessert
- You can add sugar or honey or other sweeteners as per your choices, but since if the Alphonso Mango is ripe, then actually, I will not put any sweeteners like sugar.
- As an option, you can add a pinch of Saunth (dried ginger, sountha) for taste as it will make you feel heavy saunth (dried ginger, sountha) will help you digesting